Open the Curtains featuring Spellbinders ... interactive, all die cut cards!
Hello everyone! I recently subscribed to the Spellbinders Glimmer and Cut Value Club ... good value for money! I was very pleased with my first kit that included the large die set, Open the Curtains, the small die set, Day Dreaming, and a glimmer foil plate ( I will use in another project!) and foil! I also received a free gift ... adhesive! I love interactive cards and don't make them often enough. How excited was I to build these all die cut, straightforward, slider style cards with a fun element of surprise! LOL
For 'all die cut' cards, I like to cut all the elements I need before I begin assembling the card ... not that I don't have to go back to the die cutter during assembly! I always seem to miss something or need to make a modification ... but I try to be organized!
For each of the cards, I cut:
2 of the long curtains and the scalloped valance
3 window frames to stack
2 of the slider mechanisms
3 sentiments and frames to stack
3 frames for the night time card
For the night time card, I used Tonic Studio's Cinnamon Silk for the curtains ... luscious paper! All the other elements were die cut from black card stock.
For the day time card, I used a pretty floral pattern paper I found in my stash. The rest of the elements were cut from white card stock.
I began by ink blending Bristol Smooth Cardstock with Distress Oxide Inks. For the day time card, I used Tumbled Glass and Squeezed Lemonade and for the night time card, Seedless Preserves and Chipped Sapphire. I also inked an extra panel with Squeezed Lemonade for the stars. Cosmic Shimmer, Gilded Avocado, was applied to give it a shimmery effect. The inked panels (not the yellow one) were die cut with the window frame to create the panel insets for the window. Additional frames were cut and stacked. The day time frame was mounted on white card stock trimmed to the same size as the window. The inked insets were adhered. The insets for the night time card, were cut with a star die. For this card the stacked window frames were adhered to the yellow inked panel and the starry insets attached.
A2 sized panels in a landscape orientation were cut about a 1/2" from the top with the die that creates the slots for the sliding mechanism.
The L shaped die cuts were folded on the creased lines and wrapped around the bar created by the slits. The fold was secured with double-sided tape as were the rods.
A thin piece of foam was adhered directly under the slit to stabilize the rod and the curtains were attached. Another piece of foam was attached to the top of the valance and it was glued over the curtain rod.
The windows were adhered directly under the foam strips under the curtain rod. For the day time card, the sentiment was 'built up' with two more frames and attached under the window. Two white kitties were attached on the top of sentiment with a strip of foam to prop them up on the window pane. A secondary sentiment was added from Tim Holtz, Small Talk.
For the night time card. I used three layers of the sentiment frame die cut outs to create a window ledge for the kitty to sit on. The sentiment, adhere to the same card stock as the curtains, was attached below the curtains.
If you have difficulty viewing this video, click HERE.
Supplies I used to create these cards:
I participate in an Affiliate Link Program. Essentially that means that I receive a small commission for purchases made below. These moneys will help support the costs associated with my blog. There is absolutely no difference in the prices of products purchased here or directly from the on-line store. Thank you!